Thursday, December 2, 2010

Further Rambling

I have been thinking about relationships lately. They are terribly messy and complicated. Even the most simple can become a tangle of awkwardness for those of us who are not so adept in the social realm. I am more of a watcher. I like to observe people. For me it is really fun to see friends having a good time. I remember a time when I was on a mission trip with my church. The was a blast. We cleaned out a house nine months after a hurricane had ripped it. Some of us even got to help rebuild a house that belonged to a particular couple. I wasn't part of the group to help with the reflooring of that house, but I sorta wish I had been. I remember hearing that the husband passed away a while back. I wonder how the surviving wife is doing every once in a while. Anyways back on topic. One night we went out for ice cream at a Dairy Queen near by. When all got something and sat down. I just stood by the door watching everybody and having fun. The guys were all laughing and having a really great time. It is something that stuck with me and I think always will. I think that it is sad that people who watch others are considered creepy. I watch people all the time, but I have no ill intent. Perhaps, if you are scared by someone watching you steps to protect yourself are in order. More importantly, if you are easily scared perhaps you should ask yourself why. If you are scared easily by a person... Have you thought about God? If you are a Christian and you are scared, why? You have the Creator of the universe on your side. More accurately, you are on His side. Could it be that you are not totally trusting Him? I will be the first to admit that I have trouble with this. As gold it purified by fire so are we by trials. That is not a quote from scripture, but there is a similar illustration. The more trials that I go through (small that they are in comparison to those of others) do over time help me trust Him. Honestly, trust is elusive and yet all to ready at the wrong times. Well to bed I am off. Work at 0700 tomorrow is going to be a formidable task; at least I get off before the sunset.

1 comment:

  1. People watching is fun! I have discovered that it is even more fun from inside the group, though. Like going out with a large group of friends and letting them do most of the talking. I find if I'm watching strangers after a few minutes I start to FEEL creepy...Like I'm intruding on their private lives, uninvited.

    I do tend to feel watched a lot but I don't feel stalked so much as judged/disdained. However, there is the strong possibility that's only in my head. The reality is probably that people are too busy with their own problems to even notice me.

    Trusting God is a hard thing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete