Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Aged

How is the age of a person determined?
I believe that this question is very much like Hamlet's immortal query, "To be, or not to be?" The answer at first glance would seem an obvious one, but is it truly?

Determining the physical age of one's body is no great feat. My body is twenty one years old. My mind though...

This is where many would scoff and scorn; particularly those who are of a greater physical age than myself. I would put forth, though, that the true age of one is not determined by the physical age of one's body.

It has been said that reality is perception. This is, of course(read the about me portion if you would), false. Reality is not based upon what we perceive, but, in fact, it is the inverse. This is made apparent by those who are not so well in the mind. The ravings of a lunatic may indicate that those around him are attempting to kill him, but this does not make it so(though I wonder how many times the lunatic was not so mad). This does not mean that there is a tiny shred of truth in the mix of this lie.

It is apparent that one may, if so inclined, learn from the mistakes and adventures of others. If this is the case is it also possible to gain age after a fashion though this process as well? I believe that it also may be able to age though harsh experiences. It would seem then that aging may be separated into three separate categories. Physical. Experiencial. Prosaical.

On a personal level I believe that I have a surplus of the latter two and would gladly give some out if the option existed.

So far as experiencial age is concerned I have more than most and less than many. In times of crisis and pain, to be honest, I feel old. I don't mean old and decrepit, but weary of life and its, at times, seemingly pointless struggles.  This is not depression or despair, but its own sort of longing for needed rest.

On the other side of the coin I would like to point out my former landlord. The man fought in WWII and is above ninety,  yet he still has that mischievous twinkle in his eye. He can out work men half his age and while he is physically old he is younger than many. This is a man I admire much and have learned a great deal from. I remember hearing him talk about restoring an old jeep similar to the one he drove in the last great war. "You have the part mechanic, part blacksmith, and half crazy to rebuild one of these."

This man has been through much and learned much, but he is still young. Perhaps there is still more to the equation. What ever the case may be I am tired and must go to bed. I am tired.

3 comments:

  1. hmm...I guess that's what the term "old soul" is about. I had to read the novel, "I am David" for school at some point. It was one of the few books in my life that I started and never finished. I hate sad stuff like that.

    I think there is also the aspect of wisdom. I believe wisdom is gained over time, and through asking God for wisdom. I feel I have much more wisdom now then when I was 21. I've heard it said that wisdom is knowing what to do with the knowledge you have. There is something to that, I suppose but I think that wisdom is more knowing what to do about things, like situations that come up. I think I use to be rather clueless about stuff like that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger(7-10?) I laid in my bed thinking about reading about Solomon and his life. I decided that I wanted that, too. Sometimes I regret asking God for wisdom that night, but most of the time I don't. After all, ignorance is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my mom always told me that i was an old soul because I was always far more mature than everyone else my age and whereas they'd be off playing, I'd be inside reading some classical lit or working on the comp. It was really funny because I never fully got what she meant, but now I think I do because when I look at the world I just feel as if I belong to a different time. I think I still look at the world far more in depth and with deeper introspection than many others my age, but maybe that's just me. Thanx 4 sharing this entry...Was very interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete