Thursday, November 18, 2010

The not so great divide.

This morning I saw an article claiming that four out of ten people believe that marriage is obsolete. I believe that this figure is wrong in more than one sense. It seems that the number would be much higher if peoples actions were taken into account and also I find this deeply saddening.

Marriage is a beautiful picture of how we interact with our Creator. It is a picture of sacrifice, protection, beauty, and love. I have an aunt and uncle who have, as far as I can tell, a wonderful marriage. I think that it is due in part to the fact that they knew this when my uncle was dating his future wife. There are many other factors that played a part, but again I think it was largely due to their understanding of God's purpose for marriage.

People stopped caring about their relationship with their spouses and then when their kids became adults they didn't know to care. This is not an excuse. They simply have not been shown how to love. That is really sad. I encourage you to find the best marriage in your circle of friends and watch how they interact. There is a method to this madness called love.

2 comments:

  1. True. But not just 'love' the feeling or like in a movie. It's love the commitment kind, too. The kind that keeps loving even when it doesn't seem fair and when everything seems hopeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that the problems with marriage; the problems with the country as a whole, start at home, in the early years of life. When a child is not shown love at home, it is very difficult to show love to others.

    ReplyDelete